Friday, September 7, 2007

Common Grounds


This time last year we were just a few weeks into our new life here in NC, still feeling like fish out of water and it was discovered that Alex has High Functioning Autism. In the twelve months that followed and continuing daily we've been on a journey of discovery, relief ("it's all starting to make some sense")and reaching out to other families in the autism/aspergers community. I found an asperger's parent group last spring and enjoyed the last few meetings until everything paused for the summer.

Feeling antsy with kids back in school and still two more weeks til our first official meeting, a group of us got together for coffee and chat time. I love how "normal" I feel when I'm with these other moms. When your child doesn't quite fit in with the "norm", moms can also have a feeling of not quite belonging. Nobody on the block has the same fears and issues that I have for my son. So I love being with a group of folks where my kid and all his wonderful quirks are normal!

Now if only I could find a group for owners of ball-obsessed German Shepherds . . .

2 comments:

Lori said...

Yvette, I'm glad that you found a group to relate to, have coffee with, and just be yourselves...quirks and all. Alex is a wonderful kid and I can't wait for him to get his little sister!

Lori said...

ps thanks for stopping by and for the kind words.