Saturday, May 10, 2008

Two Blonds and Other Popular Tourist Attractions in Beijing

We started our day at Tiananmen Square with the main attraction apparently being Alex and myself. The other other folks in our group were amazed at all the Chinese people circling us and trying to take our pictures.

We left the Square and crossed the road to visit the never ending Forbidden City. It felt like we were opening up those wooden Russian nesting dolls, only in reverse, with each door we'd pass through revealing a slightly larger and grander version of the previous courtyard and buildings.


For lunch we had the traditional Peking Duck, although the head and feet had already been removed so it wasn't as traditional as I was hoping for.

Later, after a brief detour past the Bird's Nest and Water Cube, we found ourselves working off all that lovely lunch climbing along the Great Wall. The section that we traveled was incredibly steep and the centuries old steps varied in rise height from brick to brick. We had fabulous views of the mountains all around us and Beijing in the distance.


Tomorrow is the day. We'll be leaving our hotel at 8 am, our last few steps along our path to Min!

4 comments:

Daniel N Myers said...

Hello my darlings,
Have been with you since day one! I am not surprised that many people want to take pictures of my darling Alex and daughter.
What a special mother's day! Love and hugs to all!
Love you, my darling,
Mom

Lori said...

Yvette, these pictures are awesome~ I especially love the last one of the Great Wall!
Oh I can't wait to check back tomorrow~ I won't be able to sleep tonight!!
Happy Min Day, Happy Mother's Day!! :)

RuhmkeX5 said...

Happy Mothers Day! Happy Fathers Day and Happy Brothers Day! We read daily. Thank you for taking us on this incredible journey. We can't wait to meet Min!

Anna said...

I wanted a break from my monotonous daily life. I took one week leave from work. I had never been to China before. So, of course I wanted to go to Beijing but the only tourist spot that I was aware of was The Great Wall of China. I browsed through net and came upon this site http://www.localnoodles.com/index/index.aspx. It provided me with all the information about all other attractive tourist destinations and I was able to plan my trip accordingly.