Monday, October 22, 2007

What if Kate is Not a Kate?

How is it that time just seemed to scoot by this month?? We've been so busy with school, family and friends . . .

Every so often our agency is given a list of "waiting children", children who have some sort of special need. Some are severe, but many are mild, as mild in fact as "old" age. Each time the list has been posted, well at least since last November, we've found children that we'd love to parent. We've sent requests, but never been fortunate enough to have our name pulled from the hat.

This time around is no exception, but the majority of the children we have requested are boys! When we started this process, when I thought of China, I immediately thought "daughter". I thought "Kate". But perhaps Kate may turn out to be a Keane or Keifer? Or perhaps Kate will be a Kate, but an older Kate with her Chinese name that she would prefer to keep and a dislike of all things pink? I can toss aside the Hanna Anderson catalogue and instead the two of us can shop from Title 9 or Athleta or REI.

"Kate" is a child out there waiting for us as we have been waiting for "Kate". Could be a baby girl, but we've decided that just as likely "Kate" could be a ten year old girl or a five year old boy, or someone anywhere in between. "Kate" is our child. We'll meet eventually.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

This brought tears to my eyes! You guys will be awesome parents to whatever child God brings to you, whenever He might bring him or her. Love you!! Lynn

Lori said...

Nice post Yvette, something I've wondered about as well. I always look at the list each time it comes out, but haven't seen our daughter yet, still waiting, however long.
There were such precious little boys this time, but I honestly just can't go there.
Can you imagine, after all the shopping I've done?
I can't either. :D